CITY OF OREGON
The Oregon Police Department is accepting Lateral Police Applications on a continuous basis.
Join Our Team
Police Officer Testing
Currently we are not testing for the Position of Police Officer. We do accept lateral transfer applications on an ongoing basis. *See Lateral Minimum Qualifications below.
Experienced Police Officer
The Oregon Police Department is currently accepting lateral applications for the position of experienced Police Officer. Applications are currently available here: City of Oregon Lateral Police Officer Application Packet.
To be eligible for the Experienced Police Officer Hiring Program, an individual must meet the minimum qualifications for hire, and be a non-probationary police officer or previous non-probationary police officer who is currently in good standing in the police department in which the person serves or has left the department in which such person served in good standing.
Minimum qualifications for hire
- 21 years of age
- High school graduate or GED
- No record of felony convictions
Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Salary & Benefits
- $44.379 base-rate for entry-level officers
- $52,260 2-4 years
- $55,900 5 + years (with continued seniority step increases thereafter)
Health, dental, vision, and life plans
- Employee 90% and dependent coverage 75%
- Flexible spending accounts
Paid time off
- Sick Leave
- Compensatory Time Leave
- IMRF Police Pension
- Starting: $44,379 ($21.34 hourly)
- Experienced officers with two or more years of service can start at $52,260 ($25.13 hourly)
- Five years of experience will start at $55,900 ($26.89 hourly).
- $50,000 life insurance policy for each full-time employee
- 12 paid Holidays
- Minimum 24 hours of Personal Leave each fiscal year
- Generous longevity pay based upon completed years of continuous employment with the City
- Option to participate in deferred compensation Plan
- Uniforms and equipment are provided for all police officers
Lateral Entry Candidate Screening and Application Period:
- Applications are accepted on an ongoing, continuous basis and will be reviewed at the time of a vacancy.
- You will be notified is there are immediate vacancies to be filled through the lateral entry process.
- There is no guarantee of an interview or further consideration for candidates submitting an application. Inclusion in any lateral entry candidate screening process shall be based upon the relative excellence of the candidates reflecting qualifications above the stated minimum qualifications and the hiring needs of the Department at the time of review.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- At least 21 years of age
- Proof of a high school diploma or equivalent
- Proof of a valid Driver’s License
- Post-probationary status as a police officer in the United States
- In good standing with current department and/or left previous department(s) in good standing.
- Must successfully complete an oral interview and background investigation
- Must successfully complete a medical examination and psychological tests
- No felony convictions. NOTE: Some convictions for misdemeanors or serious traffic offenses may also disqualify applicants from further consideration
Questions should be directed to:
Chief Darin DeHaan