The Oregon Ganymedes Vintage Base Ball Club was formed in the spring of 2005 as an educational outreach program of the Chana School Museum in Oregon, Illinois. The team plays 1858 rules base ball (it was two words then) wearing authentic uniforms of the time against other vintage teams representing historic small towns and museums all over Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri and beyond. The team schedules 15 to 25 games each season during the months of May through September and play their home games on the lawn in front of the Chana School Museum on North River Road at Oregon Park East.
The Oregon team takes it’s name from the historic Ganymede’s Spring that was named by the famous Margaret Fuller in 1840 and became a tourist destination for people visiting the Oregon area for generations.
The design for the Oregon Ganymedes’ distinct gray uniforms with red trim came from an Oregon Republican Reporter newspaper description of Oregon’s town team uniforms from the late 1860’s. The team is made up of volunteer ballists who have ties to the greater Oregon area. The Oregon Ganymedes Vintage Base Ball Club teaches early base ball history and act as ambassadors for the City of Oregon when they play at festivals, vintage tournaments and educational exhibitions throughout the midwest.